Friday, September 9, 2016

Literacy Month

Shalom Y'all
            This month is special to me for two reasons,the first being the world was graced with my presence on September 13th 1975,and it's Literacy Month!!! When I tell you I absolutely LOVE to read it's the TRUTH.

Growing up reading always felt like a punishment. My mom's ways of disciplining us was to make us read,write,and learn full chapters of Torah(the Bible). At the time I thought it was the worst. Lol however I now truly appreciate it,it help me develope my strong relationship with the Most High. Nonetheless I still hated making sense of some of the words didn't come easy for me,that's when years later I was diagnosed with Dyslexia.

Armed with this new information and learning tools my life was changed forever!!! Books became my greatest joy. So much so that I still read about a book a week give or take. I ran an successful Summer Reading and Public Speaking Program for 13yrs for low income families. I also instilled a love for reading in my three Sun's. My older two Sun's ages 21 and 19 won awards for their Public Speaking skills,and have been asked to read for church,school,and even a few radio spots!!! My youngest Sun(3 yrs old)just completed a 1,000 book challenge in 3 months.

Just a little history on why I have such a fondness of reading. So for this years Literacy Month #3 and I are finding articles on-line about unknown African Americans who have contributed to building us up as a people,but their stories haven't really been told. So this weeks African American  is Mr. Dave(Drake) Potter. Mr.Potter was a slave,and learned pottery for one of his slave owner brother in-laws. Mr.Potter went on to make many BEAUTIFUL works of art that are now worth thousands of dollars.

So not only did we read Mr.Potter's story(google his AMAZING story)

we decided to try our hand a pottery..lol. So here's a fun easy and edible clay recipe I've used with my Sun's over the years.

1 cup water
1/2 cup corn starch
1 cup flour
1T olive oil
2T cinnamon
1T clove
1 non-stick pot
1 long handle wooden spoon

In your non-stick pan add corn starch and flour in pan mix well. Slowly add water stirring continually. Continue to mix mixture until it resembles mashed potatoes. Add in cinnamon and clove to give it the brown coloring. Scrape dough out of pot,transfer to bowl with lid and let rest for an hour or so. Once rested take out and make hand prints,animals,numbers,letters etc. Let dry for two to three days,or cook in a oven for two hour. I hope this fun family activity brings as much joy as it has my family over the years...until next time.

                                                                                                                           SunniDelight💙
                                                                                                                   Light,Love,and Shalom

No comments:

Post a Comment